People are always looking for something inspirational, so why not try your hand at inspirational writing?
What is inspirational writing? It’s anything that makes the reader feel better about himself or herself. To inspire is to breathe life into. Inspiration lets the reader know there is hope. It moves the reader from thinking “I think I can” to “Yes, I can!”
Here are some tips to get you started writing something inspirational.
- Begin by wanting to do something of value. The money will follow as you search the marketplace for editors with the same goal and need your writing to help them reach that goal.
- Think about what you’ve already got and what you can do with it. For example, take a story out of scripture and write about it.
- Read the newspaper avidly and look for stories you can clip and use for ideas. Use those stories to create a small awareness that can inspire your reader to something bigger.
- Give yourself permission to feel emotion. It’s okay to talk about emotional issues and cry or to see the humor in life and laugh. These are things greeting cards and scripts are made of.
- Embrace the ideas God gives you and know that He expects you to do what it takes to bring them out to your readers. People want to believe that despite all the problems in life, there is hope that something better lies ahead.
- Watch your timing instead of following trends. And, if you’re writing an inspirational book, keep in mind it takes time to publish your book–even if you do it yourself.
- Know something about the beliefs of a denomination if you want to write for a religious press.
- Consider various forms and let the form flow from your idea. Share inspiration in the form of a poem, a story, an essay, or a devotion. In our publishing company, we published a hardcover daily devotional for working women that was very successful, but the author worked hard to write 365 scripture-based devotionals that included a work-related story.
- Remember that inspirational writing always ends up a win (never a loss nor a tie).
- Read inspirational authors and analyze why they’re successful. Then examine your own writing and determine what you need to do to become a success as well.
Genre writers write to formula, and here’s the formula for inspirational writing.
- State a problem.
- Address the problem in some way.
- Resolve the problem.
I hope this post inspires you to look at your writing possibilities with new eyes so you can share your good insights with others.